We Honour the Greatness in You at AME
Our Leader In Me Journey
Since 2014, the AME community has worked on being a LIM school. After the staff read Stephen Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People and The Leader in Me , many staff members went to attend Leadership Day in some Seattle area schools in 2014 , to see and explore the effectiveness of the 7 habits and ways in which they had been implemented in those LIM schools.
The entire staff underwent training, a staff Lighthouse Team was created, and the school went on to explore and apply the 7 habits. These 7 habits were not taught separately in class. They became embedded in our everyday lessons, class and school activites.
In 2015, some new staff members underwent training and 3 of our staff members became trainers for the LIM program. The same year, our team trained staff from other schools like - Black Mountain Elementary, Pearson Road Elementary, and Oyama Traditional School - all from SD23. Later in 2015, many staff members went to another Leadership Day in Calgary, where some members of our team did a presentation for other schools. This was a great achievement for our Teacher Lighthouse Team!
In the Span of 3 years, we worked on the 7 Habits of Happy Kids to enable our students to develop the skills of the 21st Century Learner. Basically we used the concepts of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People in Kid-Friendly language to help our students develop effective personal and interpersonal skills.
During our Leader In Me journey, students and staff at AME lived the 7 habits through
- Creating Seven Habits songs
- Holding Family grouping days led by the student Lighthouse Team to review and apply the Habits
- Creating conducive school environment - Hallway signs, artwork
- Hold Student Led assemblies
- Student taking responsibilities around the school for its daily functioning - like- announcements, office monitoring, peacekeepers, patrollers, lunch monitors, recylers to name a few.
- Having LIM sessions for parents - led by students and/or teachers
- Student led learning – Learning by Choice - where students learning is driven by their own interests and passions
- Initiatives in the community – Hamper Drive; Winter Clothing Drive, Raising money for orphanage in India, for fresh water in Africa.
- Planning and executing a leadership day [ May 24, 2017]
- Training other schools